Urban News

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

New watershed mission in Tiruvannamalai

Print PDF

The Hindu       07.04.2017

New watershed mission in Tiruvannamalai

Water conservation:A gabion check dam being constructed across a watercourse in Thumbakkadu, a tribal village, located on the foothills of Jawadu Hills.Special Arrangement  

Collector orders construction of 1,000 gabion check dams

A new watershed mission conceived by Collector Prashant M. Wadnere has been launched in Tiruvannamalai district aimed at giving an impetus to the ground water table once the rain begins.

Mr. Wadnere said that 10,000 gabion check dams with recharge pits would be constructed across water courses in the district. At present, sanction for 1,000 such structures has been given and they would be constructed at an estimated cost of Rs. 9.25 crore.

In each structure, small rough boulders would be stacked (without mortar) into a retaining wall/check dam across the stream/water course, that are dry now. The stacked boulders would be tied using a mesh in order to prevent the structure from getting washed away by the stream. Near each wall a recharge pit would be dug. Every pit will contain a 50-feet-deep bore well.

When it rains the gabion walls would retain water for some time/ slow the course in order to help water to percolate and improve water table. The recharge pits with bore well would play supportive role and directly take water to the depth of 50 feet in order to recharge the water table. Construction of 32 gabion structures is already over. Construction of structures in other identified places is being expedited.

Sources said that mission has been synchronised with Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS). Labour force that is estimated to take 40% cost of the project would be drawn from the MGNREGS. Remaining 60% cost would be spent on materials including mesh and boulders, digging bore wells etc.

Mr. Wadnere called upon the people to volunteer and donate their labour in construction of such dams. Those willing to volunteer would be given training in the Collectorate every Saturday. To symbolise the importance of voluntary participation of people in the mission, Mr. Wadnere physically participated in the construction of one such structure in Thumbakkadu, a tribal village, located on the foothills of Jawadu Hills.

In each structure, small rough boulders would be stacked into a retaining wall

Prashant M. Wadnere,

Tiruvannamalai Collector


Libraries to be opened at Corporation schools

Print PDF

The Hindu        01.03.2017  

Libraries to be opened at Corporation schools

 Libraries to be opened

The Arc Foundation in association with the Coimbatore Corporation will open Dr. Kalam Library in a number of Corporation schools on March 3. A release says that in memory of former President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam they will open such libraries or refurbish existing ones at Devanga Elementary School and schools in Ranganathapuram, Rathinapuri, K.K. Pudur, Puliayakulam, Siddhapudur, Asokapuram and Vellaikinaru.


500 panchayats to be plastic-free: Collector

Print PDF

The Hindu      15.06.2016  

500 panchayats to be plastic-free: Collector

Solid waste management programme being implemented in villages

As many as 500 panchayats out of the total 860 panchayats in the district will become plastic-free due to the solid waste management programme implemented under the Swachh Bharat Mission, Collector A. Gnanasekaran said. Speaking at a meeting organised here on Tuesday to review the progress of development programmes, Mr. Gnanasekaran said that the programme is being implemented in the villages with at least 300 dwellings that either have industries, government hospital or primary health centre, or happen to be headquarters of district, taluk or block, or located near town, located along railway line, National or State highways.

Cleanliness guards

A cleanliness guard would be appointed for every 150 dwelling in every habitation. The garbage would be collected, dumped, segregated into perishable and non-perishable materials. Non- perishable waste would be sold for recycling and compost would be generated from perishable wastes and sold, he said.

Speaking on the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) Mr. Gnanasekaran asked people to prepare a draft plan for every panchayat under the scheme for 2016-17 fiscal.

  • «
  •  Start 
  •  Prev 
  •  1 
  •  2 
  •  3 
  •  4 
  •  5 
  •  6 
  •  7 
  •  8 
  •  9 
  •  10 
  •  Next 
  •  End 
  • »

Page 1 of 23